We have released new features in the new Data model IDE. With the release of these features, the new Data model IDE will be the primary development environment from now on. We are focusing on merging our two development environments into one again. This step is part of this plan. In the new IDE we can offer a more seamless development environment with the Page Builder, which is highly important in our no-code and citizen development vision.
What does this mean for me?
- From now on, you can only mutate your data models and settings in the new IDE. When you click on the Data model icon in the builder bar (also from the old environment) you always go to the new Data model IDE. Before, you had to switch between environments, because not all features were available in the new Data model IDE. Now, you can do (almost) everything in the new IDE, which makes your building experience more seamless, and saves you time.
- Managing Application Roles is now part of the new IDE. Before, you could create and delete Application Roles in the Back office or via Actions, but now it is part of your Application description. This is platform architecturally a better design, and as a result you’ll experience a more stable environment.
Be aware: We will release this in batches for existing applications (starting today with the first batch). This means your existing application will have the new Data model IDE as a primary development environment within now and a few weeks.
- Application Roles & Model permissions:
- Application Roles:
- You can create Application Roles via the IDE only. It won’t be possible to create Role records in the Back office or Actions anymore.
- You can still read/view your Role records in your Back office. Role Record can still be updated via Back office, so nothing is changing here. For example, assigning User records to a specific Role or changing a checkbox value from true to false for a certain Role.
- Deleting Roles is possible via IDE only. It won’t be possible via the Back office or Actions anymore.
- Model Permissions:
- You can view and set your Model permissions (create, read, update, delete, export) per role for all models in just one overview, which makes it much easier and comes with a better overview.
- You can set permissions by true/false, filter rows or by an expression.
- Learn more about Model permissions (link to documentation)
- You can easily find a link to this new roles & model permissions overview:
- In the permissions tab of a model
- Via tools in your builderbar
- Models and properties:
- From now on you can create, update and delete models, properties and relations in the new IDE only. It won’t be possible via the old development environment anymore.
- Creating the following property kinds won’t be possible from the IDE.
- Deprecated property kinds:
- Zip code
- The current implementation of this Property type is only focussed on NL zip codes and does not have an international scope. The decision is made to deprecate this kind entirely. The alternative in the platform is to use Text property kinds instead. In the Page Builder, you can apply component validation to ensure your end-user is entering zip code values that match your desired formatting. This is also why creating and updating this kind won’t be possible from the new IDE.
- Email message
- This Property type is used within the Mailbox feature. The Mailbox feature won’t be long with us as well. That is why this Property type is being deprecated. There is no point in remaining this type while its dependency won’t be with us any longer. This is also why creating and updating this kind won’t be possible from the new IDE.
- The current implementation of our count and sum Property kinds is different from how we envision this. In our vision, these use-cases will be done via the new Actions and/or directly via the aggregation functions of the Data API. Because of this vision, we are deprecating these kinds. There is even an other alternative in the platform available and that is to use a Number expression property kind instead. This is also why creating and updating these kinds won’t be possible from the new IDE. Creating and updating Number expression Properties is already possible in the new IDE.
- Same reason as mentioned above.
- Back door to old environment:
- Just for a few (rarely used) functionalities like advanced validations, log mutations and deduplication, you can still use the old environment.